Welcome back Tech fans to the first blog update in almost a year! If you are still with us, I truly thank you. I hope to be far more frequent in my updates to make up for last year's sabbatical. Somehow the malaise that was last year's schedule just kind of got to me and sucked the writing bug right out. But now it's back and I humbly ask all the MOTG fans to come back and bask in the sun!
A new year of Georgia Tech football is in full swing and I can honestly say that I am really upbeat. This optimism was almost killed in the first quarter of the Virginia Tech game but, upon reflection, the team showed a lot of heart going into Blacksburg and played a really strong Hokie team.
So let's take a look at what the Yellow Jackets faced going into that game:
- Down several starters on defense
- Replacing key players on offense (Embry, Steven and Roddy)
- A strong Hokie defense (some analysts predicted this to be the best defense ever in Blacksburg)
Any combination of these things would doom a lot of visiting teams and for the first quarter or so, this did seem to be the case. Virginia Tech drove down the field easily and kept the defense off-balance. The Yellow Jacket offense did no favors going 3 and out on the first couple of series.
What turned the game from being one sided was a rare Special Teams mistake from the Hokies in punting that allow Tech to quickly score a touchdown. From there, CPJ seemed to find some wrinkles to his offense that allowed Tech to move the ball well. I did notice that the Wide Receivers have a ton of work to do as they did very little to help the cause. The A and B backs provided all of the catches. If the receivers can get some separation, this offense could be strong.
Some Points of Praise:
- Tevin Washington is NOT Reggie Ball. He played well and did his best even though he got killed by VA Tech hits. He played well when it counted on Tech late touchdown drive.
- The Tech defense played really well throughout the game. We can point to giving up some big plays but they were down people and ran out of gas late in the game. However, I see great things for them if they continue their growth.
- CPJ coached a good game and we nearly beat a highly ranked team. He has this team going in the right direction.
- What the heck kind of call was that against #6 in the 4th quarter? A Personal Foul for bumping the receiver??? Really?
- I am calling badly missed block. You all know what I am talking about here.
Ok, so I now have that all out of my system. The next game is against Presbyterian so I think we all know what is to happen here. The short week won't be fun for the players but I would imagine that they want to use this game as a way to get the bad taste out of their collective mouths. It should be fun and I hope to see you there!