I thought I'd chime in on the WCU game along with some things I took away from around the college football world from over the weekend.
Tech vs. WCU
• Overall I was very happy with our performance on O and D. Special Teams is a different story. I now we have at least one kicker on scholarship and still can't kick it into the end-zone on kickoffs. I watched the Auburn kicker actually put it through the up rights on kickoff. Also, the coverage was awful. We got to shore this up or it will come back to haunt us, specially in the VaTech and UGA games, both of which have great return men.
• CPJ might have finally succumbed to the idea that a passing game is required, or at least the threat of one. It was obvious that without the feeling from opposing D's that BayBay could take it to the house at anytime, they would just stack the box and force us to throw. The VaTech game last year showed that when forced to come from behind in a 2 min drill fashion... we were ill-equipped. I doubt we'll drop the bread and butter rushing to take on more passing, but I think CPJ saw the opportunity to get more live game experience passing the ball Thursday night and he took it.
• I think the A-backs might finally be what I always hoped they could be. The pitch and short passing threat. Loaded here. B-back I think will be productive, I just don't have a real feel for them yet... although the fact that Sims went from 4th string to starter says something.
• D was aggressive and we have some young players who I'm really excited about. Julian Burnett, Isiah Johnson, oh my.
• Best line of the night? "False Start, entire offensive line" WCU of course. Sounded like something out of a movie.
• Most points ever scored by a Tech team in an opener.
• Much larger test this weekend. MTSU is not a team to overlook. They barely lost to Purdue, 24-27. With a 7pm kick it should be a fun game. It's about a 4 hour drive from Atlanta if you can make it.
• Gold on White. Could you read the numbers? For the record I really like the all white and gold look, up close or on TV. But for the most part it seems few could read the players numbers from the stands. Rumor is the home jerseys this year are Gold on White and the away jerseys were Blue on White. I expect to see us wear the away jerseys from here on. If you want to only use 2 colors you have to take a cue from the Texas playbook and go dark gold.
Rest of College Football
• Maryland is the real deal. For some reason I've had a feeling all off season that Maryland would be a team to watch. The game here in Atlanta will be a battle, and I will not be surprised to see them leave with a W. If I had to guess, I'm saying they end up in the Chick-Fil-A bowl.
• USF beat ND, BYU beat OleMiss. Always happy to see any SEC team or ND lose. Also have to tip my hat to the Baylor Bears!
• Auburn is in for a long year. Utah State had that game. Also proud of the way ECU played.
• LSU was the most impressive I saw... maybe Les isn't an idiot after all. If he is an idiot... he's still the luckiest SOB I've ever seen. I usually find myself saying that at the end of every LSU game.
• The ACC looked pretty good. We'll ignore Duke and BC. NC, Maryland, Miami, FSU and VaTech are not teams to overlook. If this league can finally start to win out of conference and bowl games we might be able to turn this ship around in terms of public perception.
• The Dogs and The Broncos. I said on Twitter that UGA looked like a bunch of Ketchup Popsicles. I stand by that. Although, the helmets were not bad. Overall I was surprised by the game as I really thought UGA would win. We'll know more Sat... if you care.
• Conference realignment? Texas to the ACC? Most of it is rumor, but it could get crazy very fast, smoke = fire. More thoughts later.